Monday, 26 July 2010

Fabrics for our summer project

My 7-year-old and I were planning to make pretty dresses for her and her tiny sister last summer. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during the first week of the summer holidays and spent a week in hospital and the rest of the holidays adjusting, recovering and learning how to deal with her condition.

This summer we are DETERMINED to make them, and we'll keep you up to date with our progress.

Here are the fabrics we have chosen.

Tiny girl is having pink ...

Big girl is having red ...

We're using the Feliz dress pattern by Farbenmix and adding a few ruffles at the back of the underdress.

Watch this space!!

Saturday, 24 July 2010

End of Year Teacher Gifts

It's becoming a bit of a tradition in our house to make one of these little concertina books for the children's teachers at the end of the school year. The child chooses the patterned papers, ribbons and embellishments, does all the sticking and glueing, and writes little messages on squares of coloured paper to stick inside. I think they're nicer than giving a shop-bought card.




This year, because the teachers have been absolutely wonderful, and have looked after my two diabetic darlings so brilliantly, we also made them a little handbag each, using theApril Bag pattern at Sew Mama Sew.

Less fattening than a box of chocolates, and will last longer. :-D

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Some of my sewing from June

I haven't taken photos of everything I made, and some of it has been sent off to other people, so it's too late.

I have a pile of old baby clothes sitting upstairs waiting to be quilted or turned into something useful. As we were having a birthday party in June for our littlest girl, I decided it was a good time to try making some bunting with it. I didn't manage to get much made in time for the party, but it's a start, and I'll try to make some more ready for the next party. :-)

It's a great way of keeping some of your favourite fabrics from the childrens' clothes, without ending up with a houseful of useless tiny outfits!

I also cut out some letters freehand and appliqued them onto a dark red towel.

Not the best photo, but you get the idea.